Should I Buy a Race License? — Cyclocross 101

Pin It

USA Cycling Rules and Rule Book, 2012 - Cyclocross, Road, Mountain BikeIf you plan on racing in USAC-sanctioned events (any races with UCI fields, and often even local races), you might want to consider purchasing an annual license. Oregon is the only state not governed by USAC, instead they are governed by OBRA. However, in other parts of the country, there are plenty of unsanctioned races, like Ice Weasels in Massachusetts, most ’cross races in Utah, and most ’cross races in Northern California, so check and see what types of racing occur near you before you buy a license. There’s been a lot of controversy surrounding sanctioned versus unsanctioned events, so read up!

Get schooled in cyclocross with our Cyclocross Academy class list here, and make sure you’re subscribed to Cyclocross Magazine, your guide for getting into the sport, and upping your ’cross knowledge. Not subscribed yet? For the newbies, our Issue 21 has a great feature on buying your first cyclocross bike, and Issue 22 has a story on how to get into racing and what to expect at your first race.



Cyclocross Magazine, Issue 22, Print and digital subscriptionsHave you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with a subscription and Issue 23 back copy, with features on Lars van der Haar, Jonathan Page, Elle Anderson and more!

Stay up to date:

Search for a product, review, race or racer:

Visit these cx-loving companies:

Support CXM at no extra cost to you:

About Us | Jobs | Subscribe | Contact Us

Copyright © 2007-2014 Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos All rights reserved.