Doggone Cyclocross in Portland
They do their cyclocross a little differently in Portland, Oregon. Although the region hosts some of the country’s top racers, the emphasis is definitely on creating a fun, non-intimidating scene to attract new participants to the fold.
Not content with building the biggest ‘cross scene in the country, Oregonians have built up a huge singlespeed contingent (see our coverage of the recent SSCXWC) and even feature a Unicross category for unicyclists (see Issue 6). Now cyclocross is going to the dogs – literally. In conjunction with the Kruger’s Crossing cyclocross race on Sauvie’s Island next weekend, Portland Racing presents the inaugural Doggie Dog Cyclocross World Championship.
Press Release from Portland Racing:
That’s right! Portland will be the host of yet another world-class cyclocross event: the inaugural Doggie Dog Cyclocross World Championship!
A free, fun race for dogs and dog owners of all breeds, ages and sizes, presented by Cycle Dog and Meat and hosted at the Kruger’s Crossing Cyclocross Classic.
Sunday, November 22 from 12:30 to 1:00pm
Kruger’s Farm on Sauvie Island
Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/ycjtkt6
- Dog course will be about 1/2 mile long and feature barriers, mud, puddles, and a bunch of other things dogs might appreciate.
- No bikes in this race. Just dogs running with their owners (on-leash or off-leash).
- We’ll have 4 race categories: Open Co-Ed, Clydesdale 60 lbs+, Masters 10yrs+, Carry-On & Lap Dogs (owners need to carry their dog throughout the whole course)
- The races are free, but owners need to sign a waiver and pick up a special dog bib number at registration.
- Cool awards for top finishers in each category
- Grand prize for the most original dog attire (lycra dog team kits strongly recommended!)
- Yummy dog treats for all participants!
We will have a fenced-off corral where canine racers of the friendly kind can socialize before and after their race. Dog owners are responsible for the good behavior and well-being of their dogs.
Oh yeah, there will also be some regular cross races. And kiddie races. And a bonfire. And beer…
More info at www.portlandracing.com/cx
Have you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with our killer print and digital magazine for less than 8 cents a day!