Trebon, Page and Vervecken fight it out at the 2009 Planet Bike Cup. © Amy Dykema
For some of us, the cyclocross season can’t come soon enough. Those in the upper Midwest can set their schedules and start dreaming. The Wisconsin Cycling Association has announced the 12-race 2010 Planet Bike Cyclocross Season with some exciting changes.
The Wisconsin series, in its 15th season, offers some changes this year to make the races more consistent, more challenging and more fun. Not only does the series make for great ’cross racing in the state, Wisconsin also offers the 2010 Planet Bike Cup, a UCI and USGP weekend of races in Sun Prairie in September.
“We have a long tradition of quality cyclocross races in Wisconsin,” said Jerry Pearce, long-time cyclocross organizer and a member of the WCA Cyclocross Committee. “And with the national attention the Planet Bike Cup brings to the area, we wanted to tweak the races and make some changes that should benefit everyone.”
Here are the highlights of the new series:
- Change the Masters categories to 35/45/55 plus;
- Separate series scoring and prizes for Category 2 racers;
- Separate series scoring for 35/45/55 plus Category 4 racers;
- Separate series scoring for Cat. 1-4 men and women, as well as Juniors 10-12, 13-15 and 16-18;
- Promote more consistent /quality cyclocross courses in Wisconsin;
- The top three series finishers will receive trophies and the winner a WCA jersey;
- Each race will call up the top 10 racers in the series competition for the front rows;
- The races will be a consistent cost: $15 for Juniors, $25 for Men and Women Cat. 3 and 4 as well as Masters, and $30 for Pro 1, 2 racers.
- To discourage sandbagging, and encourage a more level competition in all categories, cash prizes at individual races will NOT be offered for Cat. 3 and 4 Men’s and Women’s races. That way the Category 4 race should be a beginners race and Cat. 3 for more experienced, skilled racers.
- And to further discourage sandbagging, the USA Cycling representative will automatically upgrade riders throughout the season.
“We believe these changes will make for a highly competitive and high quality series,” Pearce said. “Plus there are three new races this year, which will bring more variety to the series. It’s going to be a great year!”
2010 WCA Cyclocross Schedule
Saturday, Sept. 26-27: USGP Sun Prairie
Saturday, Oct. 2 Cross at the Domes of Mitchell Park (my wife inc)
Sunday, Oct. 3 Lapham Peak (Lake Country Endurance)
Saturday, Oct. 9 Grafton Pumpkincross (BVC Nomad)
Saturday, Oct. 16 Badger Prairie (5-9s)
Sunday, Oct. 17 Cam Rock
Saturday, Oct. 23 Kletzsch Park (Pegasus)
Sunday, Oct. 24 Whitewater (UW-Whitewater)
Saturday, Oct. 30 Halloween Cross (Velo Trocadero)
Saturday, Nov. 6 Estabrook (Hampshire Cycle Club)
Sunday, Nov. 7 Team Magnus Madison Cross Race Warner Park (Magnus)
Saturday, Nov. 13 Sun Prairie (Brazen Dropouts)
Sunday, Nov. 21 State Cyclocross Championships: Hales Corners (Hampshire Cycle Club)