by Pat Malach
Serena Bishop (All Access Racing) took her second straight win of the 2014 Cross Crusade Sunday at Barton Park and secured her fourth series overall win in as many years, while Josh Kelley (Chris King-Cielo Factory Team) took the elite men’s win Sunday and tied Chris Jones for second overall with 104 points each.
Giant Factory Racing’s Carl Decker, who raced at JingleCross in Iowa over the weekend, clinched the men’s series overall, which is based on the best six of eight results, with a solid performance over the first six races.
The county maintenance yard at Barton Park near Boring, Oregon, about 25 miles southeast of Portland, provided a brutal farewell to the 2014 series. Goatheads, a tricky off-camber descent and several serious run-ups challenged riders on the mostly hard-packed course. Although the terrain could be harsh, the weather for the final race of the series was a picture perfect – if slightly chilly by Oregon standards – bluebird fall day.
With all of the previous men’s winners except Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) choosing to race elsewhere or take the weekend off, odds that there would be a new winner looked good. Kelley was happy to oblige.
The Chris King-Cielo Factory Team rider has been scratching at a win for the entire series, and he pulled it off during the final race with a dominant ride, finishing more than a minute ahead of Bend’s Ben Thompson (Thump Coffee) and 1:17 ahead of Cameron. Seth Patla (REN Cycles-Ti Cycles) grabbed the fourth spot, another seven seconds behind Cameron, while Soraz Racing’s Andrew Coe rounded out the top five.
Bishop put in a similarly dominant performance in the women’s race, seizing the win and the overall lead from previous series leader Laura Winberry (Speedvagen), who was racing at Jinglecross in Iowa. Bishop sailed to a comfortable win over River City Bicycles’ Megan Chinburg, who crossed the line for second 1:35 behind the winner.
Portland Bicycle Studio’s Alaxandra Burton finished third, nearly two minutes behind Bishop, followed by Rebecca Bieri (Etna Brewing-Desalva Cycles) in fourth and Emily Boscacci (Oregon Bike Shop) in fifth.
Elite Men Top 10
1. Josh Kelley (Chris King-Cielo Factory Team) 0:58:16
2. Ben Thompson (Thump Coffee) 0:59:24
3. Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) 0:59:33
4. Seth Patla (REN Cycles-Ti Cycles) 0:59:40
5. Andrew Coe (Soraz-CAPA) 0:59:44
6. Brennan Wodtli (Speedvagen) 0:59:45
7. Chris Bagg (Athletes Lounge) 1:00:04
8. Damian Schmitt (Portland Bicycle Studio) 1:00:22
9. Patrick Means (Team S&M) 1:00:37
10. Mitchel Trux (REN Cycles) 1:01:07
Elite Women Top 10
1. Serena Bishop (All Access Racing) 1:02:18
2. Megan Chinburg (River City Bicycles) 1:03:53
3. Alexandra Burton (Portland Bicycle Studio) 1:04:12
4. Rebecca Bieri (Etna Brewing-Desalva Cycles) 56:28 -1
5. Emily Boscacci (Oregon Bike Shop) 57:06 -1
6. Kristen Minarik (bicycleattorney.com) 57:12 -1
7. Laura Trace (Upper Echelon Fitness) 57:18 -1
8. Annalisa Fish (SCCA-Starbucks Cycling) 57:20 -1
9. Amy Rice (Lazy Tarantulas) 57:37 -1
10. Kristin Duyn (Portland Bicycle Studio) 57:50 -1
FINAL OVERALL STANDINGS
Elite Men Top 5
1. Carl Decker (Giant Factory Racing) 120
2. Chris Jones (The Athletic) 104
3. Josh Kelley (Chris King-Cielo Factory Team) 104
4. Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) 98
5. Ben Thompson (Thump Coffee) 91
Elite Women Top 5
1. Serena Bishop (All Access Racing) 134
2. Laura Winberry (Speedvagen) 122
3. Megan Chinburg (River City Bicycles) 121
4. Alexandra Burton (Portland Bicycle Studio) 89
5. Kristen Minarik (bicycleattorney.com) 72