UCI Cyclocross World Champs: Race by the Numbers
The UCI recently released some impressive stats from the World Championships:
The organization said: “It has already been widely reported that the Worlds in Belgium last weekend attracted more than 60,000 spectators who watched more than 230 athletes from 24 nations battle it out for the 12 medals at stake. But the statistics for the 2012 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships go much further than that.”
• 68,500 tickets sold
• 4500 VIPS (including King Albert II of Belgium and the Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo)
• 300 international journalists
• 250 supporters’ buses
• 44,267 spectators using urban transport (tram and bus)
• 8,000 spectators taking the train.
• 230 mobile homes
• 25 km of cables
• 9500 barriers
• 1500 collaboraters, of which 500 were volunteers
• 1549 days of preparation
Have you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with a subscription and Issue 23 back copy, with features on Lars van der Haar, Jonathan Page, Elle Anderson and more!