Van Gilder, Johnson Hold on to CXNC Leads
Laura van Gilder (Cresco, Penn./C3 — Athletes Serving Athletes) and Tim Johnson (Beverly, Mass./ Cannondale/ Cyclocrossworld.com) used strong performances at the USGP Derby City Cup in Louisville, Kentucky, last weekend to expand their leads in the USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Calendar (CXNC).
Van Gilder, who has led the women’s standings since week one, took consecutive third-place finishes in Louisville and now leads the CXNC by 283 points over Meredith Miller (Fort Collins, Colo./ California Giant/Specialized). Miller moved from fourth to second in the standings after finishing second on Sunday to Georgia Gould (Fort Collins, Colo./ Luna Pro Team), who won both Derby City Cup races.
Advancing into the top five of the women’s standings were Sally Annis (Nashua, N.H./Crossresults.Com p-b JRA Cycles) and Andrea Smith (LadiesFirst Racing). Annis took two wins at the Downeast Cyclocross in New Gloucester, Maine, followed by Smith with a fourth on Saturday and a second on Sunday.
In the men’s CXNC rankings, Johnson padded his lead over teammate Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./ Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com) to 15 points by winning the first day of the Derby City Cup, which was a UCI level 1 race. Powers took third.
Powers’ victory on day two wasn’t enough to close the gap because Sunday was a UCI level 2 race. Meanwhile, Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./ Kona/FSA) jumped two places to third in the rankings with consecutive runner-up finishes in Louisville.
In Maine, Dylan McNicholas (Stratham, N.H./Pedro’s) and Adam Myerson (Dorchester, Mass./Cycle-Smart) rode to wins at the Downeast Cyclocross on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
The current standings of the Cyclo-cross National Calendar are as follows:
1. Timothy Johnson (Beverly, Mass./ Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com) 530
2. Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./ Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) 515
3. Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./ Kona/FSA) 420
4. Justin Lindine (New Salem, Mass./ bikereg.com/Joe’s Garage/Scott) 406
5. Valentin Scherz (SWI/Cyfac-Champion System Racing) 308
1. Laura van Gilder (Cresco, Penn./C3 — Athletes Serving Athletes) 643
2. Meredith Miller (Fort Collins, Colo./ California Giant/Specialized) 360
3. Sally Annis (Nashua, N.H./Crossresults.com p-b JRA Cycles) 327
4. Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./ Planet Bike/Steven Bikes) 310
5. Susan Butler (Portland, Ore./Team HUDZ-Subaru) 305
5. Andrea Smith (Somerville, Mass./LadiesFirst Racing) 305
Have you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with our killer print and digital magazine for less than 8 cents a day!
Previous entry NACT Boulder Cup Weekend Preview