Lindine taking a corner, passing lapped riders as he rode to victory. © Cyclocross Magazine
The Downeast Cyclocross Day 2 in New Gloucester, Maine, on Sunday, provided ample excitement as the lone race on the United States International Cyclocross Calendar (USICX).
After winning Sunday’s Downeast Cyclocross, Justin Lindine (Bikereg.com-Joe’s Garage) moved from third place into the lead of the USICX men’s standings. Although the riders are tied in points, Jeremy Powers (Team Rapha Focus) trails Lindine because Lindine has more wins than Powers through seven weeks of the season. Ryan Trebon (LTS-Felt) remains 22 points behind the leaders in third place. Ian Field (Hargroves Cycles) and Ben Berden (Ops Ale-Clement) remain in fourth and fifth place, respectively.
Lindine overcame an early pile up shortly after the start to take the lead with five laps remaining. Lindine increased his lead as the competition continued. Dylan McNicholas (Cyclocrossworld.com) finished 26 seconds behind Lindine while Luke Keough (Champion System p/b Keough Cyclocross) placed third 17 seconds behind McNicholas.
After winning the women’s race on Sunday, Andrea Smith (LadiesFirst Racing) overtook Caroline Mani (CC Etupes Doubes Pay) for fourth place in the USICX women’s standings. Helen Wyman (Kona Factory) still has a 20-point cushion on Katerina Nash (Luna Pro Team) atop the standings. Laura van Gilder (C3 p/b Mellow Mushroom) is 12 points behind Nash and 74 points ahead of Smith. Mani trails Smith by 17 points in fifth place.
Smith and her teammates, Crystal Anthony (LadiesFirst Racing) and Elle Anderson (LadiesFirst Racing), set a fast pace from the start and left the peloton fighting for fourth place. Smith emerged victorious, edging Anderson by nine seconds and Anthony by only 14 seconds.
1. Justin Lindine (Bikereg.com-Joe’s Garage) — 417
2. Jeremy Powers (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda) — 417
3. Ryan Trebon (LTS-Felt) — 395
4. Ian Field (Hargroves Cycles) — 270
5. Ben Berden (Ops Ale-Clement) — 264
1. Helen Wyman (Kona Factory Team) — 420
2. Katerina Nash (Luna Pro Team) — 400
3. Laura van Gilder (Mellow Mushroom Racing) — 388
4. Andrea Smith (LadiesFirst Racing) — 314
5. Caroline Mani (CC Etupes Doubes Pay) — 297
1. Andrew Dillman (Red Zone Cycling) — 100
1. Curtis White (Clif Bar Development Cross Team) — 100
3. Zane Godby(Clif Bar Development Cross Team) — 60
4. Richard Cypress Gorry (Whole Athlete-Specialized) — 50
5. John Francisco (Red Zone Cycling) — 36
For more information on United States International Cyclocross Calendar, visit www.usacycling.org/cnc.