Pro CX: Berden Closing on Powers; Anderson Extends Lead After Gateway Cross Cup
The attention of the USA Cycling Professional Cyclo-cross Calendar (Pro CX) shifted to St. Louis for the Gateway Cross Cup races on Saturday and Sunday. The dry conditions throughout the weekend created tactical races under the stars on Saturday and in the sun on Sunday.
After sweeping the two men’s races in St. Louis, Ben Berden (BEL/Raleigh-Clement) has pulled within 10 points of Pro CX men’s standings leader Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./Rapha-Focus). Powers has 418 points while Berden now has 408. A pair of Americans, Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) and Timothy Johnson (Topsfield, Mass./Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com), remain deadlocked in third place with 327 points apiece. Stephen Hyde (Edgartown, Mass./JAM Fund-NCC) holds fifth place with 280 points.
Elle Anderson (San Francisco, Calif./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) finished fourth on Saturday and won Sunday’s race to collect 58 points over the weekend and open a 66-point cushion atop the Pro CX women’s standings. Anderson now has 369 points while Meredith Miller (Boulder, Colo./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) remains in second place with 303 points, 13 points ahead of Gabrielle Durrin (GBR/Rapha-Focus), who sits in third place. Crystal Anthony (Beverly, Mass./Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies) is in fourth place. Helen Wyman (GBR/Kona Factory Racing) rounds out the top five with 261 points. Amanda Miller (Fort Collins, Colo./Team TIBCO-To the Top) won the elite women’s race on Saturday.
Without a juniors race on the calendar last weekend, the Pro CX juniors men’s standings are unchanged. Peter Goguen (Hopedale, Mass./Race Cf-Racecf.Org @Racecf) paces the group with 140 points while Austin Vincent (Simsbury, Conn./Race Cf-Racecf.org @Racecf) holds second place with 116 points. Raphael Auclair (CAN/Subway-Sigman-Pivot Cycles) is in third place with 88 points while Maxx Chance (Boulder, Colo./Clif Bar Development Cyclocross Team) sits in fourth place with 74 points. Noah Granigan (Cape May Court House, N.J./Race Cf-Racecf.org @Racecf) completes the top five with 70 points.
- Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./Rapha-Focus) — 418
- Ben Berden (BEL/Raleigh Clement) — 408
- Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) — 327
- Timothy Johnson (Topsfield, Mass./Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) — 327
- Stephen Hyde (Edgartown, Mass./JAM Fund-NCC) — 280
- Elle Anderson (San Francisco, Calif./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) — 369
- Meredith Miller (Boulder, Colo./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) — 303
- Gabriella Durrin (GBR/Rapha-Focus) — 290
- Crystal Anthony (Beverly, Mass./Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies) — 270
- Helen Wyman (GBR/Kona Factory Racing) — 261
Juniors Men’s Standings
- Peter Goguen (Hopedale, Mass./Race Cf-Racecf.Org @Racecf) — 140
- Austin Vincent (Simsbury, Conn./Race Cf-Racecf.Org @Racecf) — 116
- Raphael Auclair (CAN/Subway-Sigma-Pivot Cycles) — 88
- Maxx Chance (Boulder, Colo./Clif Bar Development Cyclocross Team) — 74
- Noah Granigan (Cape May Court House, N.J./Race Cf-Racecf.Org @Racecf) — 70
Pro CX riders, including juniors, can tally standings points next weekend. Three events in the greater Cincinnati area will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The action begins Friday night in Covington, Ky., with the Cincy3 Darkhorse Cyclo-Stampede. The next day, Cincy3 Lionhearts International-Cross After Dark will be a UCI ranked 1 race in Mason, Ohio, where riders can earn triple points toward the Pro CX standings. The weekend of racing culminates in Cincinnati with the Cincy3 Harbin Park. Juniors riders will be able to strut their stuff and will be scored separately at the races on Saturday and Sunday. Also this weekend, riders can compete in the NEPCX-The Cycle Smart International 1 and 2 on Saturday and Sunday in Northampton, Mass.
Have you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with a subscription and Issue 23 back copy, with features on Lars van der Haar, Jonathan Page, Elle Anderson and more!