Winter Bicycle Festival to Spread the Love in Sonoma County on Valentines Day Weekend in Santa Rosa
SANTA ROSA, CALIF., February 5, 2009-The VELOVE Winter Bicycle Festival is about to transform downtown Santa Rosa into a bicycle wonderland during Valentines Day weekend, February 14-15. Held in conjunction with the 2009 Amgen Tour of California, VELOVE is packed with events for everyone, including cyclocross, bike competitions, race viewing parties, non-profit fundraising events, a pro race team signing and plenty more. It is a joint production between Bike Monkey, the City of Santa Rosa, Mainstreet and West Coast GoldSprints.
Saturday, February 14
- Cyclo-cross Championship: 11am-5pm – Cyclists of all ages and levels are invited to compete in a friendly cyclocross competition featuring food, drinks and live music by the Hubbub Club Marching Band.
- Prologue Watch Party: 5-7pm – Watch the 2009 Amgen Tour of California prologue on the bigscreen at the Sweet Spot Pub, the official afterparty for the cyclocross championship.
- Party with Paul Sherwen: 6-9pm - Support Bicycles for Humanity-Santa Rosa by visiting the Cellars of Sonomo in Railroad Square for an evening of wine tasting, hors d’oeuvres and a live auction with legendary cyclist and infamous Tour de France commentator, Paul Sherwen. Proceeds will help send our first shipment of bicycles from Santa Rosa to healthcare workers in Namibia, Africa. Tickets available online at www.VeloveFestival.com only 100 spaces so don’t wait!
- Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition Celebration: 6:30pm – Watch the Tour of California prologue and party with the Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition at the Hunter Global Legacy Center. A suggested donation of $5-10 includes a night of music, New Belgium Brewing Fat Tire Amber Ale, wine, hors d’oeuvres, a scavenger hunt, indoor cycling contests, prizes, dancing and great people.
Sunday, February 15
- West Coast Gold Sprints: 12pm-7pm – Local teams will face off in stationary bike races at the Historic Railroad Square as the Tour of California stage finish is shown in the beer garden. After 4pm, bike races open to riders of all abilities.
- Team Rabobank at the Sonoma Bicycle Company : Shortly after the Stage 1 finish Visit the Sonomo Bicycle Company at their new 4th street location immediately after the Tour of California finish to meet and greet the riders of Team Rabobank. Free valet bike parking is available.