Such a great venue...even with the addition of skin from my left leg at the base of the Belgian Steps!
Boulder’s Valmont Park Survives Floods, Nationals Prep on Schedule
Promoter Mike Eubank wants everyone to know that Boulder is recovering, and specifically, the bike park at Valmont will be Nationals-ready. “The Bike Park recovery has started and almost all of the park features are back open. Most of the damage was due to run off as we received a full year of average rain within a five-day period. Most of the trail surface material just simply washed downstream.”
Also according to the promoter: “We are rebuilding and getting back on track to prepare for Nationals, in fact the floods set us back a couple weeks, but we will be ready!”
He added, “Many have asked about Boulder in light of the recent floods and national media coverage on area roads and bridges. We want to assure you that Boulder is indeed open for business!”
- Boulder is open and accessible. There are no problems with getting to/from the Denver International Airport
- Downtown, Pearl Street, Restaurants, Hotels and areas of town were largely unharmed by the flood
- With a few exceptions, the roads are clear, bike paths have reopened and getting around is not a problem
- Most of the Parks and Trails around Boulder are open including Valmont Bike Park, venue for the 2014 CX Nationals
Plans for the Venue and Course are being finalized now and include…
- Industry Race on Tuesday afternoon, January 7th
- Separate Pre-J Course for non competitive children aged 6, 7, 8 & 9
- Separate Elite Course planned
- USAC race schedule will be out soon, but it should be very similar to Madison
We featured the park and some Nationals sneak peeks in Issue 22 (out now!), so be sure to check it out!
They also recently released this video of the park:
Have you subscribed yet? You're missing out if not. Get all-original content and your cyclocross fix throughout the year with our killer print and digital magazine for less than 8 cents a day!