UCI Racing is back in California this weekend after a one year hiatus, thanks to Focus Bicycles and promoter Dorothy Wong. If you don’t want to make the trip to Gloucester to win some UCI points, visit sunny and warm Southern California for a weekend packed with activities and a stacked field. No less than ten current or former national champions will toe the line this weekend for some West Coast UCI racing. Press release below.
More than just a race, UCI Kross-toberfest Weekend, presented by Focus Bicycles, brings two days of world-class cyclocross competition, all-age bike events, a classic bike show and swap meet to the picturesque Bonelli Park North Shore on October 2-3, 2010. Fierce racing is sure to be seen as the first California UCI cyclocross event of the season brings some big names of cycling, including 4-time Danish Champion Joachim Parbo and top-ranked elite crossers from across the States. Leading the way is presenting sponsor Focus Bicycles – Team Rapha-Focus dynamic duo of Chris Jones and U23 star Zach McDonald. Zach will be challenged by U23 National Champion Danny Summerhill (Felt/Holowesko), and Morgan Ryan of host TEAM SoCalCross.
Youth reign supreme this weekend as Van Dessel rider Adam McGrath (see McGrath’s CXM column here), Sean Babcock (Kona) and Cal Giant Cycling’s Cody Kaiser will represent some of the best talent in the nation. Veteran Hall-of-Famer Steve Tilford (Tradewind Energy/Trek Stores) will do his best to challenge the young bucks along with Pro Roadie Tyler Wren (Boo Cycles) and Alex Candelario (Kelly Benefit Strategies). Top names also include: PNW CXer Molly Cameron (Portland Cycling), Colorado’s Chris Sheppard (Rocky Mountain/Shimano/Giro/TRP) and top Canadian Craig Richey (CyclocrossRacing.com p/b Blue). HRS Rock Lobster will bring a full squad of elite men representing Nor Cal and will go bar to bar with SoCal’s best: Sid Taberlay (Sho-Air), the Australian MTB World Champion, 100+ race winner Brent Prenzlow (Celo Pacific/B&L), National CX Champion Mark Noble (Franco), the Gritters brothers Kyle and Brandon (Rock N Road) and the debut of SDG’s Factory Racing program. This unique west coast mix will make for an exciting race.
On the women’s side, So Cal’s youth will shine on the Pro level. TEAM SoCalCross sisters Kendall and Alexis Ryan (see CXM’s profile of the sisters here) look to match up against Nor Cal’s best CX Veterans, former national champion Sarah Kerlin (HRS/Rock Lobster) and 30+ National Champion Barbara Howe (Ibis Cycles) among them. Look for more VIPs over the coming week! It was Series Director Dorothy Wong’s goal to increase the number of Western UCI elite races and try to bring some balance to the UCI calendar with so much of it going on in the East. With the growth of the sport and the Prestige Series’ popularity, it was a perfect time to bring UCI cyclocross racing West and especially back to California.
The weekend of cyclocross racing is part of the Southern California Prestige Series, the region’s premier source for cyclocross racing. H20 Performance Drink, an avid sponsor of last year’s series, presents the 2010-11 season with twenty action-packed races between San Diego and San Luis Obispo.
The two-day event boasts a bicycle swap meet, a classic-bike show and a Krosstoberfest (join in and bring your favorite costume) bike parade, heath and fitness expo, a cross country run, yoga by the lake and road and MTB rides for the entire family.
On Saturday, October 2nd, meet up and ride your bike from Santa Monica to San Dimas along historic Route 66 – just over 50 miles if you choose to ride all the way from the Ocean to the Mountains – to raise awareness of bicycle and Metro transit options by bike! Saturday night a Kross-toberfest Haus Party will be hosted by Mafia Racing, Ritte Van Vlaanderan and Attack Cycles and will carry the Kross-toberfest celebration into the evening.
And, then back to the races Sunday and more…
Event Type: UCI Race Event Date: Sat/Sun Oct 2-3 2010
Start Time: 8:00AM, expo opens 9:00AM racing begins same schedule over both days. Except Sunday has a 5k XC run at 8:00AM
Venue: Bonelli Park Location: North Shore San Dimas, CA
Focus Bicycles presents UCI Kross-toberfest Weekend 2010 bringing two full days of cyclocross racing from beginner to world class and Bavarian themed cyclocross party to Southern California! “Feiert Mit Eu’ren Fahrraedern!”… celebrate with your bicycles!
* Bicycle & Fitness Expo!
* Velo-Cross Swap Meet!
* Kids Bike Skills Zone & Kids Cross Race!
* 8:00AM Meet Up Ride Route 66: Ride your bike from Santa Monica to San Dimas or meet up somewhere in between in support of transportation cycling!
* 8:00AM Race Expo/Velo Swap Meet/Route 66: Classic – Custom Bike Show
* 9:00AM SoCalCross Prestige Series – Day One … cyclocross racing for all levels!
* 3:00pm Kross-toberfest Bike Parade!
* 9:00AM IMBA Kids MTB Ride hosted by PMBC!
* 7:00PM Kross-toberfest Haus Party hosted by Ritte Racing, Mafia Racing, and Attack Cycles!
* 7:00AM Sunrise Yoga
* 8:00AM Team Duke 5k Cross Country Run on the CX course! REGISTER HERE
* 8:30AM Women’s Road Ride Around Puddingstone Reservoir SPONSORED BY JAX BICYCLES
* 9:00AM SoCalCross Prestige Series – Day 2 Cyclocross Action!
* 12:00PM SoCalCross Brewer’s Society Homebrew Competition!
* 2:00PM Kids Kross Fun Race… Hup! Hup!
Men’s Start List as of Wed. 10pm:
- Yarra, Derek – Box dog bikes
- Wyandt, David – Bay 101/HRS/Rock Lobster
- Wren, Tyler – Boo Bicycles
- Work, Alex – HRS Rocklobster
- Willard, Ted – Rock N Road Cyclery
- Wertenbruch, Tyler – SLO Nexus – Gym One
- Tilford, Stephen – TradeWind Energy/The Trek Stores
- Taberlay, Sid – Sho-Air/Specialized
- Syvertsen, brue – De la paz
- Spiteri, Frank – Peninsula Velo/Pomodoro
- Snead, Josh Bay – 101/HRS/Rock Lobster
- Siegle, Jason – Bike Religion
- Sheppard, Chris – Rocky Mountain Bicycles/Shimano/Giro/TRP
- Sheek, David – SDG Factory
- Schooler, Aaron – Team H&R BLOCK
- Schmalz, Joseph
- Ryan, Morgan – SOCALCROSS
- Robinson, Justin – Cal Giant
- Richey, Craig
- Prenzlow, Brent- CELO PACIFIC / B&L
- Poshard, Dean – Rock Lobster
- Petrov, Anton – SDG Factory Team
- Odell, Aaron – Bay 101/ HRS/ Rock Lobster
- Noble, Mark – Franco Factory Team
- Mills, Adam – KCCX/ Verge Sport
- Kaiser, Cody – Cal Giant
- Gritters, Brandon – Rock N Road
- Gritters, Kyle – Rock N Road Cyclery
- Ferguson, Jeremy – California Giant Berry Farms/Specialized
- Douville, Gary – Platinum
- Dodge, Ben – Bay 101/HRS/Rock Lobster
- Colton, Eric – The TEAM SoCalCX
- Chapin, Scott – PHRS/Rocklobster
- Carroll, Donny – baileybikes.com/ Donnys cafe
- Candelario, Alexander
- Cameron, Molly – Portland Bicycle Studio
- Bottger, Frederick – SDG Factory Team
- Boone, Alex – Pablove Racing
- Behrens, John – Bailey Bikes
- Baker, Jonathan – Hudz-Subaru
- Bailey, John – Bailey Bikes
- Babcock, Sean
Women’s Start List as of Wed. 10pm:
- Baumsteiger, Katrina (Trina) – Team Rambuski Law
- Bray, Tonya – Pablove Racing
- Chaney, Beverly – Team Roaring Mouse
- Crawford, Ivie – The TEAM SoCalCross
- Dimpel, Courtney – Bike Station Aptos
- Haskell, Devon – Bike Station Aptos
- Jordan, Sarah
- Maile, Sarah – Ventana Mountain Bikes
- Mann, Allison – Rock N Road
- Popovic, Carolyn
- Ryan, Kendall – Team CICLE
- Ryan, Alexis – The TEAM – SoCalCross
- Schaper, Amanda – SDG Factory Team
- Stetson-Lee, Teal – California Giant Berry Farms/ Specialized
- Walberg, Catherine – Team kenda
- Wong, Dorothy – Team CICLE
For more information contact Dorothy Wong at [email protected]