JTO offered his ideal clinic schedule on our Cowbell Forums, and we liked it so much we’re reposting it here:
I have never attended a CX camp (though I probably should). However, given my experiences in my rookie year, here’s my take:
Mounts / dismounts. From both the left and right sides of the bike (learned this one the hard way. At least the mob was entertained).
- Obstacle avoidance. Lots of riders hit things they shouldn’t.
- How and when to bunny-hop. And when not to even try.
- Barrier management.
- Handling off-camber turns.
- Riding sand vs. mud vs. wet grass.
- Dealing with maladies. Broken derailleur hanger, mud build-up, sandy cleats/pedals, etc.
- Lots of riding!
- Intro to Heckling. How to heckle and be heckled, a labor of love.
- Advanced Heckling. Personalizing your heckles and the reverse-heckle.
- Nutrition Management. Beer is okay, Malort is not. How much bacon should one eat at max. HR?
- Wheelies and Endos. Because they’re awesome.