We at Cyclocross Magazine couldn’t be happier to see a well-organized series coming together specifically targeting participation among Juniors and high schoolers. If only we’d gotten our starts that young, maybe we coulda been contenders…
From the Oregon Junior & High School Cyclocross Series Promoter:
This Sunday, September 19th, the Oregon Junior & High School Cyclocross Series kicks off at Hood River.
If you have not joined a High School team, it’s not too late. Contact John Wilson, the series promoter if you know of someone looking for a team. You actually can race as an individual, for a High School team, and for Best All-Around Rider Points on your OBRA team all within the same race, and race series!
Look out Oregon, Juniors, High Schools, and rabid Cyclocrossers around the Pacific Northwest. Here are the first of the first-ever Oregon High School Cyclocross series teams!
|2010 Oregon High School Cyclocross Series|
|Team Name||Region||Coach||Approx Team Size|
|1||Corvallis United||Mid Willamette Valley||John Wilson||[email protected]||9|
|2||Westview||Beaverton||Brian Baumann||[email protected]||5|
|3||Summit Storm||Bend||Ambrose Su||[email protected]||11|
|4||Eugene United||Eugene||Andrew Bennett||abennett[email protected]||3|
|5||Roseburg Step Up||Roseburg||David MacFarlane||[email protected]||4|
|6||Yenne & Schofield PC||Salem||Omer Kem||[email protected]||7|
|7||Hood River||Hood River||Edward Tyynismaa||[email protected]||5|
|8||East Portland TBD||East Portland||Sheilagh Griffin||[email protected]||6|
|9||Mountain View||Bend||Matt Fox||[email protected]||3|
The Junior Cyclocross Series (JCS) is an eight-race series with the best six out of eight results counting. Racers must start five events to qualify for series awards. The High School Cyclocross Series (HS) is a five-race series, with the best four out of five counting. Racers must finish in at least three races to qualify for the series. Note: High School racers meeting the Junior Cyclocross Age classification (CCX age 18 or younger) can also qualify for JCS series awards by completing five races.
These two series are dedicated to kids racing Cyclocross in Oregon!
|Sunday 9/19, 12:35 pm||Hood River Double Cross||Hood River||JCS & HS|
|Saturday 9/25 Noon||Psycho Cross||Eugene||JCS Only|
|Saturday 10/9, Noon||Willamette Valley Cross at Heiser Farm||Dayton||JCS & HS|
|Saturday 10/16, Noon||Psycho Cross||Eugene||JCS Only|
|Sunday 10/24, 12:35 pm||Cross Crusade||Portland||JCS & HS|
|Sunday 11/7, 12:35 pm||Cross Crusade||Hillsboro||JCS & HS|
|Saturday 11/13, Noon||Psycho Cross||Eugene||JCS Only|
|Saturday 11/20, Noon||OBRA Championships||Salem||JCS & HS – Double points|
The sponsorship for this series is fantastic and incredibly generous:
- Pacific Power, Willamette Valley Cycling, and Northwest Multisports have contributed their hard-earned CASH to help fuel this series along with the generous contributions from our merchandise sponsors.
- Castelli is providing super cool Series Champion Jerseys for all Categories (JCS & HS). Check them out on our web page or at the races.
- Redline is providing a sweet 2011 24” Conquest complete Cyclocross Bike and Conquest Frame/Fork Grand Prizes + contributing to our series awards distribution.
- Sellwood Cycle Repair is providing a 2011 complete Kona Cross Bike Grand Prize and a special (to be named later) Gift/Award for the High School Series.
- Hammer Nutrition will be keep everyone fueled up providing Heed Sports Drink at all the races, and Goodie Bags of Hammer Nutrition products for the first 50 Juniors to register at Hood River and the State Championships + contributing to our series awards distribution.
- Rolf Prima has donated a sweet set of hoops (2011 VCX Cross wheelset) Grand Prize.
- Ralpha will be providing a (to be named later) award to the top High School Team
There would be no Junior Cyclocross Series without the generosity of these sponsors. Please thank them with your patronage. Grand prize awards will be based on a weighted lottery factoring in race participation and series finish. The idea is that everyone who participates in the minimum number of races has a chance to win!
We will have Medals and generous series merchandise awards FIVE deep in each JCS Category.
We will have OBRA medals for the top three High School Male/Female/Team.
For more information: http://www.obra.org/junior_cyclocross_series/