SRAM has been making news lately with its 1×11 cyclocross-specific setup that was used by Ryan Trebon and Elle Anderson at Nationals, but the single front ring and wide range cassette combo has been around for quite a while. Haley’s bike uses a tried-and-true way to ensure the chain won’t jump the front ring, with the 34 tooth FSA Pro Road chainring sandwiched snugly between two BBG bashguards.
Haley (or his support crew) knows the value of correct tire pressure. When we felt his tubular tires, they felt nearly flat. But at nine-years-old, Haley doesn’t weigh much and could ride tubulars (Challenge Grifo front, Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear) at what felt like 13 psi to our calibrated fingers.
Braking is done by Tektro CR720 cantilever brakes. Haley also has top mounted Tektro brake levers for additional hand positioning and control, while a Thompson Elite x4 mountain stem brings the handlebars in a bit. A Bontrager seatpost and Cannondale racing saddle finish off the ride.
Haley’s winning ride is a prime example of what many cyclocross racers already know. You don’t have to break the bank to build up a race-worthy bike, especially for young racers starting out in the sport. For more about options for kid’s cyclocross bikes, check out our article, Kid-Friendly in Issue 23 where we look at what goes in to making a mini-bike for your toddler all the way up through your intrepid Junior racer.
Could Haley be the next Redline-riding junior after Logan Owen to dominate the the Junior ranks for nearly a decade? That’s a lot of pressure, but his future looks bright, and he has the potential to one-up Owen because he started his National Championship career with a win (Owen finished second in his debut in 2004).
Paul Haley’s Redline Conquest Team Bike Highlights:
- Frame: Redline Conquest Team Scandium
- Fork: Ritchey WCS full carbon cyclocross fork
- Tires: Challenge Grifo (front), Schwalbe Racing Ralph (rear)
- Wheels: Mavic Helium
- Crankset: FSA
- Chainrings: FSA Pro Road 34 tooth
- Shifters / Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra 6600 with Tektro RL781 inline levers
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6700 (long cage)
- Cassette: Shimano 12-27
- Brakes: Tektro 720
- Stem: Thompson Elite x4
- Pedals: Time ATAC
- Saddle: Cannondale Synapse
- Seatpost: Bontrager zero offset
Paul Haley’s Redline Conquest Team Scandium Cyclocross Bike Photo Gallery:
Latest posts by Kevin White (see all)
- Pro Bike Profile: Margriet Kloppenburg’s Bergamont Prime CX Team - December 16, 2014
- Sanne Cant Continues Winning Streak at Scheldecross Antwerp-Updated: Full Results - December 13, 2014
- Mathieu Van der Poel Solos to Victory at 2014 Scheldecross Antwerp-Updated: Full Results - December 13, 2014