This Week on Cyclocross Magazine: May 30
by Molly Hurford
Want to know what to look for on Cyclocross Magazine this week? Worried you might have missed something last week? Fear not, because we’ve got it all mapped out for you. Every Monday, I’ll be giving you a little preview of what’s in store for the week, and letting you know about some of the great articles that you might have missed last week. If there’s any story you’d like us to cover, any burning question you want answered, or any cool racer you’d like to hear from, let us know! Leave messages in the comments, find me on the Cowbell Forums or email molly [at] cxmagazine.com.
Keep Your Eyes Peeled This Week For:
- Newbie News: whether you’re a seasoned rider or you hadn’t heard of cyclocross until last week, there’s something in Newbie News for you. We’re starting off with a few of our favorite tips for new racers, and giving noobs an idea of what they can expect to see online this summer.
Vareschi is the team director for the Rutgers University Cycling Team
- The Girl With The Cowbell Tattoo: this week, I’ll be talking about fear as a limiter to racing and life in general. And yes, there will be lots of descriptions of me falling down.
- Collegiate Chronicles: in this new bi-weekly column, you can meet Mark Vareschi, team director and “Mama Bear” for the five-time Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference Cyclocross Champions (and my alma mater), the Rutgers University Cycling Team. He’ll be talking about what it takes to build up a cyclocross team from a team of just five road racers to one of the top collegiate cyclocross teams on the East Coast.
- In the Saddle With … we don’t want to give everything away, but we’ll give you a hint: he claimed a world championship title for cyclocross at the tender age of 22.
- Racer Reviews: we’ll see even more products previously featured in issues of Cyclocross Magazine.
- Rumors and Rumblings: Kat Statman is, as always, filling us in on what’s going on in the world of pro cyclocross, and doing an amazing job of it!
You May Have Missed:
- Mechanical Mondays: Off Season Bike Storage and Maintenance: is your bike sitting in your garage, covered in last season’s dirt? If so, this article was published for you! Find out what you should be doing to your bike before the season starts.
- Bart Wellens, Belgian Cyclocross Superstar, to start his season in the US? The rumors are true! Wellens will be racing at StarCrossed and the Rad Racing GP.
- Training Tuesdays: Building an Off-Season Base: coach Mike Birner offers advice and a training plan for racers looking to build a base in the off-season in order to peak for cyclocross.
Klaas Vantornout with Tom Meeusen in the Tour of Belgium. © Jonas Bruffaerts
- Tour of Belgium: As Seen Through Cyclocrossers’ Eyes: Christine Vardaros takes us through the Tour of Belgium, following some of our favorite cyclocrossers, including Niels Albert, Cyclocross World Champion Zdenek Stybar, Bart Wellens, Vincent Bastaens and Tom Meeusen, racing on the road in one of the top cyclocross countries in the world.
- 2010 National Championship Video Interviews – Julie Lockhart, Women’s 70+: cyclocross racers can be any age, and Julie Lockhart is proving that year after year. Watch her talk about about her amazing exploits at Nationals.
- Women’s Wednesdays: Checking in with the Pros: speaking of women that make us stand up and take notice, check in with a few of the pro women of cyclocross and hear about what they’ve ben up to in the off-season … and what their goals for the upcoming season are! [Ed. note: Updated with a brief interview with Georgia Gould.]
- ´Cross Bike Reviews and More Gear and Bike Reviews Coming to Cyclocross Magazine: three bike reviews, straight from the pages of Issue Eight. Want to get find more reviews? Check out the article More Gear and Bike Reviews Coming to Cyclocross Magazine to find out what’s in store.
- The Girl With The Cowbell Tattoo: missed finding out who I am last week? Meet me and find out about my pie-in-the-sky goals for cyclocross season.
- Meet the Moment Giveaway with CLIF Bar, Troy Wells and Cyclocross Magazine: love CLIF Bars? Wish you had a box of them right now? Design a Meet the Moment postcard and you just might win a box, along with some other CLIF goodies! (Also, you’ll help protect the earth. Just an added bonus.)