Interested in learning the ins and outs of a media company with an active online and print audience? We’re looking for content and design interns at Cyclocross Magazine. Help write and produce compelling content in diverse formats about a fun subject matter. Internships are non-paid but can be used for course credit. You’ll learn and utilize skills in editing, HTML, social media, content management and journalism.
It doesn’t matter where in the country you are, as long as you love cyclocross and want to learn! We’d be thrilled to find local interns, and have “offices” in California and New Jersey.
- Work in InDesign, collaborating with our editors and helping lay out pieces in our print and digital magazine
- Graphic and/or web design on website and other digital assets
- Design marketing materials
- Design merchandise
Gain experience and build your resume by actually having the chance to lay out a living, breathing magazine that is delivered both in print and digitally. You’ll get the chance to flex your creative muscle, not just do coffee runs (unless you want to. In which case, we are located in NJ and CA).
Responsibilities will include:
- Pitching and writing original content for online and potentially print
- Editing and publishing race reports, product news, reviews, press releases and interviews
- Editing and resizing photos
- Writing photo captions
- Publishing print archive content
- Managing our online editorial calendar
- Contributing towards social media channels
- Testing new website features and improving our online experience
- In-person and live race coverage (optional)
- Expertise in editing, familiarity of AP-style
- Extreme attention to detail
- Proactive working and communication style, complete self-starter
- Familiarity with HTML, blogging, and social media
- Familiarity with Photoshop
- Creative problem solver
- Dependable and reliable
- Cyclocross passion
We’re looking for one or two interns per position. The position can be remote, but local candidates enjoy more benefits like weekly rides and free lunches.
- Needed for 8-16+ hours per week depending on where we are in the print cycle
- Exact schedule is flexible but needs to be recurring every week and will include one weekly phone call
- Position is open and available to start immediately
- Do something you love and have an immediate, widely-appreciated and noticeable impact on the cyclocross community, race promoters, industry players, fans, and major cycling media
- Contribute to the growth of the sport and Cyclocross Magazine
- Learn editing, publishing, software and Internet technologies and skills
- Course credit available for internships
- Industry discounts available after tenure
- Entry into a cycling industry career (past and current helpers have gone on to land paid gigs with Bike Radar, Dirt Rag and Velo), but our hope is that the role expands over time!
How to Apply:
If the above applies to you and you’ve got some free time, want to expand your skills, and are motivated to do something you’re passionate about, we want to hear from you. If you find yourself out of work and are looking for a full-time job but are able to commit 8-16 hours a week (for at least four months regardless of employment status), drop us a line.
- Send resume and cover letter to “jointhefun /at/ cxmagazine.com”
- Please detail your exact availability (hours per day, days of week) and interest in our online editor or intern role
- Writing/editing/graphic or layout design sample(s) are invaluable (or you can always edit this very post if you’d like to impress us)
- Required: please include your cowbell.cxmagazine.com profile URL and whether you are a print magazine subscriber
Be prepared, potential candidates will be contacted and may be given a small project to see how you work and how we work together.